English | Spanish | Dutch

When the government takes control of the land under your house.... They don't have to pay you a dime!

Underground use

I have already posted this as a reply somewhere but I think it is an interesting subject on its own. I wonder how you people think about it.

When the government takes control of the land under your house.... They don't pay you a dime!

In Australia, it is known as 'substratum acquisition'. It is the term for a state government taking away the ownership of the land x meters below your land. It is normally done for building tunnels and other infrastructure like the #NorthEastLink - a proposed 26-kilometre motorway scheme in Melbourne, Australia. Landowners are not paid any compensation for it because the land, say 30 meters below your property, is deemed to have a market value of zero.

I think it is fair thinking. Likewise, those aircraft flying over your property do not have to pay you fees, I guess. So if you were thinking that you own the land and ground under it to the centre of the Earth, well not really. Not in Australia in any case.

I wonder how the laws are in other countries.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-17/compulsory-acquisition-how-much-say-do-you-have/11967218

picture is a WestConnex picture.