English | Spanish | Dutch

Spain: COMSA, FCC and Ferrovial Joint Venture get the contract to build railway tunnel

Danilo Merges
    By Danilo Merges

COMSA Montcada i Reixac railway tunnel contract

COMSA will carry out the Montcada i Reixac railway underground works

• 09/29/2023

The joint venture formed by COMSA, FCC and Ferrovial has been awarded the contract for the underground construction of the R2 Rodalies line as it passes through Montcada i Reixac, in addition to the construction of a new station in this municipality for 540.4 million euro (VAT included).

The project includes the construction of a 4-kilometre tunnel through which the R2 line tracks will pass, which, in parallel, will add a third track to increase the system’s capacity. It also contemplates the construction of a new underground station based on criteria of sustainability, accessibility, and functionality, which will have three tracks and two side platforms. The central track, without a platform, will be used by regional trains that will not stop, thus reducing their journey times.

The route of the underground section will begin at the Can Sant Joan neighbourhood and the drop-off zone will continue with the construction of a concrete screen structure. The new station building will have two accesses: one from Guadiana Street and the other from the promenade that will be created on the slab that will cover the railway tracks.

The integration of the railway into the urban centre of the municipality will entail a transformation in terms of urban planning and the railway, given its diversity and technical and constructive complexity. It will also increase safety conditions for residents and railway operations by eliminating the two level crossings located in this area.

https://www.comsa.com/en/infrastructures/comsa-ejecutara-las-obras-para-el-soterramiento-del-ferrocarril-en-montcada-i-reixac/