Null

English | Spanish | Dutch

Tunneling Memorobilia: Swiss postal stamp for the Gotthard Tunnel

Some time ago I received a letter from a Swiss friend of mine. It was a surprise because nowadays all mails I receive are mostly from tax office and some occasional invoices. The rest is all emails.

Anyways, the stamp on the envelope was interesting. It commemorates the Gotthard tunnel between Switzerland and Italy.

Note the tunnel line under der mountains. That straight line... 

Note the `Helvetia` for Switzerland. Since I guess the country has many languages, they use the latin name.

Note the length of the tunnel: 57.104 meters. A whole fifty seven kilometers and hundred four meters.

I think it is supremely cute.

Swiss postal stamp for the Gottard Tunnel

• Santiago Morales
    By Santiago Morales

it's cool bro

• Paul K. Madsen
    By Paul K. Madsen

It is a beautifully designed stamp. Do you know it is possible to buy an unused one over the internet? From Swiss postal service or so?

• Coert Klomp
    By Coert Klomp

@Paul To be honest, I have no idea. You may want to search internet to find out if it's possible to buy one.

• Kris Lubcek
    By Kris Lubcek

Nice. People who travel everyday in subways, train tunnels, highway tunnels take things so granted. They do not really thinks much about how much effort and sacrifice tunnellers put to build these things.

Nice to see some appreciation in whatever form. Thanks Swiss postal services, Thanks.

• M. Demir
    By M. Demir

It is a long stamp, as tunnels are. Beuatiful stamp.

Hey.. I collect stamps but I never before think of tunnel stamps. I will look for tunnel stamps