English | Spanish | Dutch

Türkiye envision a Triple-deck Tunnel in İstanbul: İstanbul Atatürk Tunnel with homegrown TBM

3 Katlı İstanbul Atatürk Tüneli

A 3-storey tunnel is envisioned for İstanbul. Two storeys of the tunnel for motor vehicles one in each direction and middle storey for rail transport.

İstanbul already has a Twin-deck tunnel in operation called 'Avrasya Tüneli' (Eurasian Tunnel).  Avrasya Tüneli is the first underwater twin-deck tunnel of the world and it is 5,4 kilometers. Avrasya Tüneli connect the southern shores of the city to each other, the new tunnel will connect central part of Boğaziçi. Avrasya Tüneli is only for motor vehicles.

İstanbul's two sides connected already wıth 3 suspense bridges, one metro tunnel and one motor vehicle tunnel (Avrasya Tüneli). İstanbul is the biggest city in Turkey and new tunnel lighten the traffic. Underground public transport will have 14 stations and carry 1.500.000 passengers each day.

Turkish Tunnel Boring Machine say source

Avrasya Tüneli was bored by Herrenknecht tunnel boring machine. Sources of Ak Parti (AKP) government give information aim of Turkish state departments to use in 3-deck new tunnel a Turkish tunnel boring machine from Turkish company E-BERK. Also prefer a Turkish contractor similar to Gülermak (a tunnel construction expert company), YAPI Merkezi (partner maker of Avrasya Tüneli), Doğuş (tunnel expert), Bayburt. But they say they plan a Buılt-Operate-Transfer method. What happen if project owner decide a foreign TBM company similar to Hitachi Zosen, Herrenknecht or something else? Similar a foreign contractor Astaldi? Too many questions.

Project is vision at this time.

• Julian Buch
    By Julian Buch

Why do I not believe that it will not happen?

• Zaka Kazim Khan
    By Zaka Kazim Khan

Very Grand project. I heard E-BERK. I wish Turks most success.

• Santiago Morales
    By Santiago Morales

Whoa! Real or make believe?

• Lutz Genscher
    By Lutz Genscher

Such a large diameter tunnel and with "homegrown" TBM?  It's not even funny. 

Let's keep this social network for serious discussions please.

• Rohit Agarwal
    By Rohit Agarwal

Politician talk. Wishful thinking. When time come, a German Herrenknecht will bore it I am perfectly sure.

• Lutz Genscher
    By Lutz Genscher

Indeed @Rohit, it is just politician talk. When reality hits, it is Herrenknecht of course.

• Roberto Calvi
    By Roberto Calvi

Reality check: Currently surely 2 companies have such a large bore technology: Herrenknecht (Germany) and Hitachi Zosen. Maybe also Robbins (USA). I know Chinese companies are entering large bore segment (and this worries Herrenknecht as hell). But even the China is not there yet.

• Robin McAuley
    By Robin McAuley

I agree with Roberto. Large bore is no ordinary bore.

Large bore coupled with underwater boring is an especially daunting task.

It seems all lipservice by politicians to get votes.