English | Spanish | Dutch

Korea : Hyundai E&C use TBM excavation to bore a tunnel under Han river. A first in Korea.

Ji-Yu Doko
    By Ji-Yu Doko Replies (2)

Exyeconomy writes 'on the 13th, Hyundai E&C held the Korea's largest cross -section shield TBM excavation ceremony at the site of the 2nd Gimpo -Paju Construction Corporation in Paju -si, Gyeonggi -do'. This is a road tunnel.

TBM Diameter is 14 meters. When I look at Tunnel boring machine photograph in the news, I see HOBAN sign and also Herrenknecht sign.  Maybe this TBM is a joint production by HOBAN and Herrenknecht. News in Korean press reported a MOU for TBM cooperation between to companies (signed on 29 January 2020 an agreement with Germany's Herrenknecht). In the news said Hoban and Herrenknecht together will develop a domectic Tunnel Boring Machine suitable for Korean construction conditions and ground conditions. Herrenknecht is the biggest tunnel boring machine manufacturer in world. Herrenknecht already provide training for Hoban for tunneling equipment.

In the Korean press it reported in the past Hoban is planning not to limit itself to Gripper TBM use but increase shield TBM use to enter subway, railroad and road, energy conveyence tunnels where TBM orders increase.

Korea has traditionally low use of TBM tunneling. Korean construction companies specialized and furthered NATM technology. Most tunnels use NATM technology. In last years there is a push toward mechanized tunneling with use of Tunnel Boring Machines (TBM). Encouraged by Korean government and also my impression by Korean Tunneling and Underground Space Association. TBM method considered more expensive than NATM but safer in urban areas compared to NATM with explosives.

https://www.ezyeconomy.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=121248