English | Spanish | Dutch

WTC2019 Napoli makes it into the mainstream news! With....tunnel boring on the moon!

You don't see very often WTC making into mainstream news. World tunnelling congress is more like a meetup for the nerds of the tunnelling world. But WTC at Napoli seems to be an exception.

Apparently AFP has serviced Mr Rostami's presentation regarding moon tunnelling and some news sites have picked that up.

Here you go:

https://phys.org/news/2019-05-lunar-tunnel-moon-colonies.html

• Carlos Kirschner
    By Carlos Kirschner

Journalists are not interested in all that good real work but only in fantasy

• Ravnish Sharma
    By Ravnish Sharma
  • Coert Klomp
    By Coert Klomp

I like the headline for the article `Lunar tunnel engineers excited by boring Moon colonies'

I am just an ordinary tunnel engineer. I wanna be a "Lunar tunnel engineer" too!

• Marcelo D. Rodriguez
    By Marcelo D. Rodriguez

"Lunar tunnel engineer" :-) Is there a school for that?

• Alan Limbach
    By Alan Limbach

Great. Such news create a wider interest in the public for tunnelling. It means more tunnels and more work for us!

• Santiago Morales
    By Santiago Morales

pure snakeoil if you ask me!

• Arie van den Broek
    By Arie van den Broek

Come on guys! I cannot believe that you guys are so negative about this news.

I find this news and also Mr Jamal Rostami's presentation at WTC2019 (on which the article is based) very refreshing and visionary!

The contents of the article is neither snake oil nor an unattainable fantasy.  It is VISION!

I shall spell it for you:

V-I-S-I-O-N!  

You know, if the human kind always thought the way your comments make me feel you guys think, we would never make it out of the caves! We would still be living in caves!

We need to have vision. And we need visionaries even if they look a bit odd.

Look at today's world. It is the vision (or if you like "fantasy") of free minds like Elon Musk which makes things progress, move forward.

If it was left to the Volkswagens, Fords, General Motors, Mercedes Benzs, Fiats of this World, there would still be no electric cars around! We would happily be driving around the gas-guzzling and polluting diesel or petrol cars now and also in the future!  And now, thanks to this guy, suddenly also the gas-guzzlers are trying to invent themselves as "environment friendly" electric car provider.

Everything starts with a vision. This is what Mr Rostami's presentation is about. I know we will be there one day. Sooner than we think.

• André Tarry
    By André Tarry

Well said Arie. Very well said.

It is only the vision and imagination which move mankind forward. I congratulate Mr Jamal Rostami for his presentation. I wish I could be there at his presentation.

• Hashim Abbas
    By Hashim Abbas

The very fact that lack of atmosphere at moon will create problems due to the high radiation levels and that that makes living underground a necessity opens up huge opportunity for the tunnelling science. 

• Alex Kesrit
    By Alex Kesrit

Any good news is good for the tunneling business and any good for tunneling business is good for us.

• Ansh Chaturvedi
    By Ansh Chaturvedi

Well done Mr Rostami. The future is going to prove your vision.

• Kris Lubcek
    By Kris Lubcek

Jamal did good marketing job for the Colorado School of Mines, albeit indirectly.