English | Spanish | Dutch

(Tunnel Job) TBM Engineer (Tunnel Boring Machine Engineer) - United Kingdom

A kind note:

I would like to inform you my fellow tunnellers of the following job opening.

I am not associated with the recruiters. I do this posting to help my fellow tunnellers.

Please consider this the next time you are involved in selling or buying tunnel equipment: I am specialized in trading of tunnel equipment of all makes and models. If you need to buy or sell any TBMs, MSVs or any other tunnel related equipment, send me a DM with the specs and the price/budget info. I will do the rest for facilitating a win-win handover of the equipment for all sides.
Dirk's Tunnel Exchange

This project is in UK.  it is for the Britain's HS2 (High Speed 2) high speed train project.

It is a pretty fresh vacancy, announced only 8 hours ago.
--------------

TBM Engineer (Tunnel Boring Machine Engineer) - United Kingdom

ALIGN is a joint venture between Bouygues, VolkerFitzpatrick and Sir Robert McAlpine, ans is delivering the C1 package of the UK High Speed 2 line (HS2). Lot C1 consists of 21.6km of high speed rail infrastructure in a rural environment. This will include a 3.37km viaduct, 15.75km twin-bored tunnel and five vent shafts handling both intervention and tunnel ventilation facilities.

We are now looking for an experienced TBM Engineer to join the team working on the ALIGN JV for HS2,

The ALIGN TBM Engineer will be responsible for managing the technical interface for the design, supply, commissioning, operation and maintenance of the Tunnel Boring Machines including the final dismantling operations once the tunnelling works have been completed. They shall also manage and ensure the operability and safety of the TBM systems at all time, ensuring the operation of the TBM is within the limits set by the Client’s specifications.  

Responsibilities: 

• Controlling and managing safety. 
  • Supervising the performance of the works in the TBM and coordinating the TBM labour crews .
  • Assist and manage the assembly of the TBM and its related facilities in the tunnel. 
  • Support the TBM excavation and ensure the proper maintenance of the TBM, its equipment and related facilities. 
  • Support the operation of the tunnel related facilities which support the TBM excavation typically: rolling stock, pumping systems, conveyor belts, ventilation fans, ducting and piping.  
  • Providing support for the procurement and supply of the equipment, materials and consumables needed to support the production. 
  • Supervising the works along the tunnel typically: assemblies, maintenance and disassembly as well as the works performed at the tunnel cross passages. 
  • Drafting and editing reports, schedules or other documentation as required. 
  • Working with the TBM driver and Surveyors to ensure that the TBM alignment remains within tolerance. 
  • Fulfilling Health & Safety responsibilities by adhering to the Company’s Health & Safety Policy and Management Plans. 

Skills and Experience:

• The post holder should be educated to degree level or equivalent in a numerate discipline. Preferably in civil or mining engineering. 
  • Membership of an appropriate Professional body, typically Institute of Civil Engineering or an international equivalent professional status. 
  • The role will require the post holder to have excellent communication skills in English, both written and verbal and to be able to report at both internal project and external meetings. 
  • Demonstrate a strong awareness of Health & Safety. 
  • Experience as an engineer in construction projects, specifically underground tunnelling projects. 
  • Experience of tunnelling machines and plant. 
  • Have good working knowledge of UK Health and Safety regulations, in particular tunnelling, mining and construction works. 
  • Demonstrate experience of working in pressure situations performing duties accurately and with minimum supervision. 

Rewards

We're ready to invest in you and your future, and offer wide-ranging, performance-related progression opportunities. Our competitive rewards packages feature flexible benefits to fit your lifestyle and priorities.  

We'd love you to join us in proudly building Britain's future heritage. Apply online now.

for job advertisement click here

• Robin McAuley
    By Robin McAuley

Update April 12, 2020: Position is still advertised.