Null

English | Spanish | Dutch

Hitting unexpected caverns when your TBM is happily boring away!

I've seen this article about a Robbins TBM boring a water tunnel in a geology with limestone and powdery clays in Cassis, France. It hits more than once uncharted caverns hence loosing its grip. Then comes the laboursome task of raising concrete walls for the TBM to get grip.

Probably because I've been in this situation so many times, I liked this article a lot. I am hoping that you will enjoy it as much as I did:

Robbins TBM Overcomes Multiple Caverns to Make Breakthrough

Have a nice weekend volks!

• Matt J. Scott
    By Matt J. Scott

I know it. I've been there.  I've been there more than once.  When I was at it, it felt terrible. But looking back, every single one was a great job moment. Happy days...

Thanks Alex chap fo. sharing it

• Kris Lubcek
    By Kris Lubcek

Matt said it all. We've read the book, we've seen the video, we've hit the dust, we've pumped the mortar. We've all have been there.

Obviously the surveys will never catch every single cavern, unless you do them every 5 meters or so. I have always asked myself, when will come some underground maps generated by some ground penetrating radars? 

• Engin Ünverdi
    By Engin Ünverdi

It is resembling the problems we had at Nurdağı train tunnel in Gaziantep (south east of Turkey). It was tunnelling from cavern to cavern. Very troublesome.