Null

English | Spanish | Dutch

China's CREG introduces Water Jet Hard Rock Tunnel Boring Machine

CREG Wate rjet  TBM Longyan

CREG introduces WORLD'S FIRST WATER JET TBM. It is NOT prototype. It is for use in Wan’anxi Water Diversion Project in Longyan City in Fujian Province.

With water jet technology, less damage to TBM.

Click at text under to go to Tunnel Business Magazine

China Railway Engineering Equipment Group Co., Ltd. (CREG) held a launch ceremony June 18 for a water jet hard rock TBM. The ceremony for the TBM, named “Longyan,” was attended by more than 100 Chinese experts and scholars in the field of TBM engineering technology at Zhengzhou, China, on June 18, 2019

• Pedro M.
    By Pedro M.

waterjet TBM? Interesting. Very innovative

• Santiago Morales
    By Santiago Morales

cool!

• Lutz Genscher
    By Lutz Genscher

it may be very innovative or cool, if you like.

But: will it perform well???? will it really work???

• Dirk's Tunnel Exchange
    By Dirk's Tunnel Exchange

Apparently this is a operation-ready machienery destined for a real work, meaning that it must have already been tested on a prototype.

• Heiko vd Berg
    By Heiko vd Berg

I've got the impression that this CREG TBM does not solely depend on waterjet but uses it as a help mechanism to lessen the wear of the disc cutters.

• Zaka Kazim Khan
    By Zaka Kazim Khan

In the world there are only 3 tbm companies with technology on their name. CREG is one.

CREG is new Robbins of 2020. Technology powerhouse akin to Robbins of 1950, 1960.

• Adrian Olmex
    By Adrian Olmex

Since 70s in the past century, there has not been any real innovation in TBM technology. If this water jet technology works, probably it will be the biggest thing since invention of double-shield or Slurry TBMs. It is that significant.

• Lutz Genscher
    By Lutz Genscher

Indeed. 'if it works'.

• Ray M. Morgan
    By Ray M. Morgan

Without playing down CREG's work, I would like to mention that the idea of using waterjet to crack the rock is not new. Not new at all. Other companies played with the idea years if not decades ago.

Trouble is:  every time they tried, they found out that the waterjet not only cracks the rock but also the equipment producing the waterjet. Consequently they discovered it to be too costly and not worth the work it does. I hope CREG has overcome this. Then it is innovation. Otherwise it is just a marketing hype.

I would love to hear about how the boring progresses and how the equipment performs.

• Ercan Başar
    By Ercan Başar

No news on water jet tbm?