English | Spanish | Dutch

Transurban finally takes responsibility and sues Spanish & Chinese owned contractors for not finishing the West Gate Tunnel

Roger N.R. Denton

Transurban sues CPB Contractors and John Holland over West Gate Tunnel dispute.  Transurban went to Victoria's Supreme Court with the intention of getting an injunction to stop CPB Contractors and John Holland.

I think Victorian Government's warnings reach at the right address and Transurban takes responsibility to act over West Gate Tunnel stallmate.

I believe, up until now, Transurban was behaving as if they were not a party to the dispute and as if the dispute was between the government and the contractors. Apparently I am not the one with this opinion. (see the reply I placed of the news with the title "Transurban asked to rip up West Gate Tunnel contract, court documents allege"). Now it changed. Thanks to the government pressure.

We will see how this ugly situation between the Australian toll operator Transurban and Spanish/Chinese contractors evolve.

CPB Contractors are owned by Spanish CMIC and John Holland is owned by Chinese CCCC (China Communications Construction Coprporation).

The contractors walked away from the contract because they did not want to pay for the extra cost of removing contaminated ground.

I believe this should be a lesson for all contractors to study the work very thoroughly before they commit to it. So far as I know, it was a public information that the ground in the tunnelling area was heavily contaminated. What were they thinking? "Once we start, we renogotiate"? I don't think so, because it is a very bad assumption and gambling for any contractor.

https://www.afr.com/companies/infrastructure/transurban-takes-west-gate-tunnel-dispute-to-court-20200609-p550s2