English | Spanish | Dutch

Malaysian organizers sacrifice to refund as much as 70% of sponsors, exhibitors and registered attendees & 100% refund for side events. World Tunnel Congress 2020 became an online conference.

Yi  Wei
    By Yi Wei Replies (8)

WTC2020 Digital Conference and Refund Announcement

Organizing World Tunnel Congress 2020 has been costly for my organizing nation Malaysia.

Institution of Engineers Malaysia (IEM) have to absorb most of the costs already made for WTC2020 and refund 70% of money for all sponsors, exhibitors and registered participants. In addition IEM refunds 100% refund for side events Gala Dinner, site visits.

This is big sacrifice for Malaysia. Malaysia already spent big amounts money for preparation of conference. Malaysia paid big amounts for and down payments too. International Tunnelling Association gives up 8.5% of their fee.

IEM will bear costs for organizing Digital WTC2020. Everything will be in Digital. Also a digital Book of Proceedings for registrants distributed.

It became clear that most visitors will keep away from September 11-17 Conference. Fears for coronavirus and COVID-19 have not passed away. Therefore decision of Digital Conference came.

I upload pdf of IEM announcement.

WTC 2020 Announcement to sponsors exhibitors & delegates

I thank you Lee J. helping me phrase my words.

• Yi  Wei
      By Yi Wei

IEM place announcement at conference internet site

https://www.wtc2020.my/

• Yi  Wei
      By Yi Wei

World Tunnel Congress 2020 to be virtual event

www.thestar.com.my

PETALING JAYA: Another victim of the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic is the World Tunnel Congress (WTC2020), which was originally scheduled to be held in Kuala Lumpur from Sept 11-17.

• Santiago Morales
      By Santiago Morales

Sacrifice?

• E. Kadar
      By E. Kadar

I am sure the Malaysians had already spent a substantial amount for the preparations. They must have lost a lot of money on this

• Abbas Shakir
      By Abbas Shakir

Why ITA-AITES not share the already made costs? It was not the fault of the IEM that coronavirus pandemy happened?

What does ITA-AITES do? They "give up" their 8.5% cut.

All the costs, investments have been made by Institution of Engineers Malaysia for this "joint" event. But when things go wrong, all the costs are on the organizing nation. ITA-AITES does not share the costs made, only waives their 8.5% cut.

This is wrong. ITA-AITES must also share the costs instead of forcing IEM for refunds.

• Michael C. Murray
      By Michael C. Murray

I guess organizing a conference in these days is like gambling in Las Vegas.

• Ahmad Kader
      By Ahmad Kader

My support is with my Malaysian colleagues.

• Rohit Agarwal
      By Rohit Agarwal

Very bad luck for WTC2020 organizers. Certainly they lost much money.