Null

English | Spanish | Dutch

If the safety of your systems and tunnels are 'certified` by German firm TÜV SÜD, Read This!!!

TÜV SÜD Baloon

BBC reports that the mining dam which burst in Brazil killing 300 people was tested as "safe" by Germany's TÜV SÜD.  Even worse, the BBC news says ' Investigators believe there's evidence the German company that certified the structure as safe knew it was vulnerable to collapse.

Even worser, they say TÜV SÜD now does not cooperate with the investigation...

Wikipedia describes TÜV SÜD as:

TÜVs short for German: Technischer Überwachungsverein, English: Technical Inspection Association) are German businesses that provide inspection and product certification services

Basicly client companies pay TÜV SÜD big amounts of money to get their stuff certified. Authorities trust companies like TÜV SÜD. So in Brazil dam case, TÜV SÜD's loyalty laid in who pays the money: the mining company owning the dam! And it was used to fool the authorities in this specific case.

Boasting about...

TÜV SÜD's own website boasts that the company issues 574.000 certificates in 1000 locations all over the world and has 24.500 employees.

Company website also has a section for their certifications in Infrastructure Projects and Rail Services. Company website says " TÜV SÜD is a qualified and trusted expert in public transportation, water and waste water management, energy, industrial IT and telecommunications . We help optimise infrastructure projects and systems throughout their lifecycle, minimise risks and enhance safety for people, infrastructure and the environment. ".   Well tell it to 300 people killed in Brazil mining dam burst!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48948775

This is the result of the sloppy work

This is the real price paid

Most probably they are also certifiying the safety of tunnels. I hope they do better job than in Brazil....

author of image and license:  4028mdk09 / CC BY-SA (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)

videos from youtube

• Lutz Genscher
    By Lutz Genscher

Obviously there is a issue with the TÜV SÜD Brasil management team.

• Marc Guitar
    By Marc Guitar

Looks like Another Enron - Arthur Anderson relationship to me." I pay you to audit me". And we are surprised with the result?

• Santiago Morales
    By Santiago Morales

@Lutz

and there is also a issue with the TUV SUD management team who must control TUV SUD Brazil management team.

• Robin McAuley
    By Robin McAuley

@adrian A bit combative to mention the nationality of the company in the title. Don't you think?

• Adrian Olmex
    By Adrian Olmex

Dear @Robin, the title is derived from the BBC's title for the news piece that I have referenced to in my writing. Hence, no hidden agenda

Screenshot_2019-07-27 How German firm approved Brazil dam before tragedy.jpg

• Adrian Olmex
    By Adrian Olmex
  • Heiko vd Berg
    By Heiko vd Berg

What a scandal. I hope some heads will roll at TUV SUD HQ.

• Abbas Shakir
    By Abbas Shakir

Inspection firm overlooked flaws in Brazilian dam that collapsed, stonewall investigation: report

https://www.foxnews.com/world/inspectors-overlooked-flaws-in-brazilian-dam-that-collapsed-report

Inspection firm overlooked flaws in Brazilian dam that collapsed, stonewall investigation: report

www.foxnews.com

Investigators are looking into how a dam that held back toxic mining waste was certified as safe despite serious problems.

• Zaka Kazim Khan
    By Zaka Kazim Khan

@Robin Why so defensive of German company?

German companies heavily use "German"ness to promote for doing good job.

When they do poor job why hide it?

It is two way street, It is a German company when it do good job and it is also a German company when it does a disgusting poor job and let 200 peoples die for money too.

Right?

• Marcelo D. Rodriguez
    By Marcelo D. Rodriguez

TUV SUD managers in Germany, Why are they not in court?

• Paolo Kerguel
    By Paolo Kerguel

The services of technical audit companies such as TUV SUD tend to be very expensive. Because they are regarded as some sort of "trustees". You trust them to check the work done by others.

After this Brazil scandal, where is the trust element with TUV SUD?

It will take years of not decades for TUV SUD to regain its credibility.

• Raoul da Silva
    By Raoul da Silva

Corruption. Scandal. Tragedy.