English | Spanish | Dutch

The newest theme-park? Elon Musk had promised 'futuristic', fast tunnels for Las Vegas. Delivered colorful tunnel ride in slow moving Teslas

Tim Altman
    By Tim Altman Replies (5)

Elon Musk's Las Vegas Transport Loop had been promoted as a game changer "futuristic" project. When the $55m costing project was first announced, it envisioned driverless Teslas moving at 155mph.

Well, that was the demo. The real product has  just arrived. And the reality is in Las Vegas Transport Loop, there are tiny Tesla 3s driving at 35mph. And with human drivers.

One thing is nice though. Both tunnels (about one mile in each direction) has been lit colorfully with state of the art LED lights. It looks more like a theme-park ride than anything which would solve a transport problem.

Elon Musk had been busy trying to adjust the expectations long time ago. As early as October 14, 2020, he tweeted:

We simplified this a lot. It's basically just Teslas in tunnels at this point, which is way more profound than it sounds.

He hints that more to come. But for now, we Last Vegas has got is the newest colorful ride in the city.

• Keith Keloe
      By Keith Keloe

I guess they will continue working towards achieving their stated goals. I am trying to keep an open mind.

• Hans Turekl
      By Hans Turekl

Look at the bright site. The guy has completed the tunneling faster and cheaper than other tunneling companies. As a matter of fact cheaper and faster than those in tunneling construction for decades.

Reportedly The Boring Company has used a TBM model called `Godot+'. Reportedly the excavation rate was over 40 meters on a given day. Not bad.

• Arie van den Broek
      By Arie van den Broek

I think The Boring Company did quite a job if look into how much or low it cost. Problem is Elon Musk has a big mouth and always over-promises.

• Tim Altman
      By Tim Altman

BBC news seems to mock Elon Musk's Vegas Loop