English | Spanish | Dutch

Gotthard tunnel closed at both ends due to an accident

gotthard accident 2017.jpg

The transalpine tunnel in central Switzerland is closed to traffic at both ends due to an accident on Monday afternoon. 

According to first reports, five people have been injured, and the tunnel was closed in both directions. Rescue and evacuation operations are ongoing. The cause of the accident was a car that veered the wrong way and collided into a motor home travelling in the right direction. Both vehicles had Dutch number plates and the collision happened a little after 13:45 on Monday.

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/several-injured-_gotthard-tunnel-closed-due-to-accident-/45170632

• Paolo Kerguel
    By Paolo Kerguel

What is wrong with Gotthard tunnel? Why do so often accidents happen there?

Is there a design problem? Or an operational problem?

• Pedro M.
    By Pedro M.

Many accidents happen in Gotthard maybe because we have not yet mastered the safety in long tunnels. To counter the dullness of driving in a long tunnel and subsequent diminishing of attention maybe? I am surethere are also problems with the ventilation in long tunnels. I think there was also a fatal accident in 2017? This Gotthard is 17 kilometers long.

News says "The cause of the accident was a car that veered the wrong way and collided into a motor home travelling in the right direction". Does it mean the same tunnel tube handles traffic in both directions? Could it be do bad?

• Peter R. Morgan
    By Peter R. Morgan

17 kilometers? Wasn't the Gotthard 50-something kilometers long?

@Coert I think you've got the wrong pic. It is from 2017 accident. The link gives this pic for this acc

Gotthard 2019 accident.jpg

• Alan Limbach
    By Alan Limbach

@Peter you are confusing Gotthard Tunnel with the Gotthard Base Tunnel. There are several tunnels in the Gotthard area. Gotthard Base Tunnel is 57 kilometers long and it is a railway tunnel whereas the Gotthard Tunnel is a motor vehicle tunnel and only 17km long.

BTW I think you have a point with your opinions about the long tunnels regarding the accidents. It makes sense to make very long tunnels e.g. Gotthard Base Tunnel a `railway only` tunnel.

@Pedro  Gotthard Base Tunnel consists of two parallel-running tunnels in each direction. I do not know about the Gotthard Tunnel though.