English | Spanish | Dutch

The fate of the collapsed Somosierra tunnel on the Madrid-Burgos railway line through Aranda

Danilo Merges
    By Danilo Merges Replies (1)

Diario de Burgos has a somewhat funny story, I want to share here. When a landslide caused the derailment of the train between Gumiel de Izán and Fontioso in 2010, ADIF, the state-owned railway infrastructure company in Spain had a very straight solution: Abandon the Somosierra tunnel all together and replace it with a bus service.

The decision makers at ADIF thought, after all, there were no many passengers using the train service. Only 6 at the time of the collapse. So there was this bus which took passengers from the departure station and stopping at every railway station until the destination station.

Later some Youtubers have discovered that the Spanish authorities had abandoned also the train locomotive in the tunnel. Please watch the video at the top. The locomotive is as if abandoned yesterday, if you ignore the dirt.

I am sharing this, because I thought it was funny and very Spanish.

https://www.diariodeburgos.es/noticia/Z02AD9AB0-D555-257E-4E50B3730FF6A4EC/El-hundimiento-de-un-tunel-y-aquellos-viajes-berlanguianos