English | Spanish | Dutch

New Zealand is the home of an important battleground for Chinese and German Tunnel Boring Machines. In this battle of Waterloo, who will be the loser Napoleon Bonaparte?

New Zealand's biggest tunnel project, the City Rail Link also becomes a latest battleground for Chinese and German tunnel boring machine manufacturers. Two companies have been shortlisted for the procurement of a 12 million dollars worth tunnel boring machine. China's CREG and Germany's Herrenknecht.

The fact is this is not `just another battle` for the either company. It is a very important battle. For many years, China has been a great market for the German Herrenknecht. But this has changed in recent years. Chinese started with ordinary soft/mixed ground tunnel boring machines but over the years moved to EPBs and most importantly to large-bores. There are no battlefields in China anymore. Not now and not in the future. China will not buy a foreign brand TBM unless no company in China can produce a similar one. Now that Chinese TBM manufacturers produce almost everything, China is a lost land for Herrenknecht, Robbins and whatever not-a-China-company. The battlefields moved to other countries.

New Zealand is important. It is a country with a European heritage and western culture. New Zealand is known in general to be more `loyal` to the West than the bigger brother Australia. Remember that when, at the end of WWI and around 1922, UK still wanted to continue its wars in South East Europe, their demands for more soldiers were rejected by all British colonies *even by Aussies!* but by New Zealand. Or to give a more recent example, when Trump asked the US allies not to use China's Huawei in their 5G telecom infrastructure, New Zealand was the most obeying country. No surprises there.

If you have not yet got the picture, if China's CREG gets the TBM contract, it will be a big loss for Herrenknecht. It would be too much to say that it would open the flood gates but it would certainly be a real game changer. It would be a "legalizer" for CREG not only for New Zealand and Australia but even for the Europe. And it will be a loss not only for Herrenknecht but also for Robbins etc. It is that important.

Auckland's City Rail Link project TBM is like Waterloo battle where Napoleon Bonaparte's ass was badly kicked. Which company will be the loser Napoleon Bonaparte? CREG or Herrenknecht? We will see in around one month.

• Roberto Calvi
    By Roberto Calvi

I bet Herrenknecht. New Zealanders think they are Europeans. They will buy Herrenknecht thinking they built it LOL.

• Lutz Genscher
    By Lutz Genscher

Chinese companies produce tunnel boring machines but technologically they are not "there" yet.

I am sure Herrenknecht offer will be a competitive one both pricewise and also technologywise. I am sure the New Zealanders will choose Herrenknecht simply because it will be a better offer.

• Arie van den Broek
    By Arie van den Broek

OK, there is a certain degree of Sinophobia in New Zealand, as well as in Australia. In addition to some anxiety about Indonesians (remember that `imminent Indonesian invasion of Australia`?).

This means not that New Zealand is childishly going to buy Herrenknecht only because it is European. It is a mature country which proved itself so most recently with their reaction to Christchurch mosque attack. It was much more mature than any European country. Unlike Europe's Christian Democrat governments, they did not say `but` and `if`. They were swift to do the right thing.

New Zealand will choose the best offer. It can be Herrenknecht or CREG. Please do not preemt it.

• Steve McMillan
    By Steve McMillan

note: I slightly modified my text by deleting an unnecessary sentence at the end of third paragraph.

• Roger N.R. Denton
    By Roger N.R. Denton

@Steve, in this entry, you are slightly patronizing New Zealand, don't you think?

• S. Disar
    By S. Disar

Well, if CREG is chosen, it will not be the first time that a Chinese-made TBM is chosen in New Zealand. Previously a Chinese TBM, I think a CREG, bored the Waterview Connection tunnel a few years back.

I believe a Herrenknecht TBM will serve the interests of New Zealanders best and I hope also Herrenknecht will be considering this and formulating their offer accordingly.

• Santiago Morales
    By Santiago Morales

I think 50-50 chance.

• Lutz Genscher
    By Lutz Genscher

Anybody know what happened? HK?

• Roberto Calvi
    By Roberto Calvi

What did I say? New Zealanders did not surprise. They ordered Herrrenknecht...

https://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/news/view/order-placed-for-new-zealand-tbm

TBM ordered for record-breaking NZ tunnel

www.theconstructionindex.co.uk

The order has been placed for the machine that will excavate New Zealand’s largest-ever wastewater tunnel.

• Ari G.J. van der Dijk
      By Ari G.J. van der Dijk

Knowing Kiwis, is anybody surprised with this decision?

• Lutz Genscher
      By Lutz Genscher

Right choice! 10 points for New Zealand.

Thanks Roberto for the news.

• Erdem Mertoğlu
      By Erdem Mertoğlu

comfort zone prisinor decision.

• Lutz Genscher
    By Lutz Genscher

Central Interceptor project orders Herrenknecht EPBM

tunnellingjournal.com

The 5.45m diameter EPBM that will bore New Zealand’s largest ever wastewater tunnel, the Central Interceptor Project, has officially been ordered from Herrenknecht. The...

• Steve McMillan
      By Steve McMillan

Hi Lutz. You are confusing CityRailLink with the CentralInterceptor project. The former is 12 meter transport tunnel whereas the latter is a 5.45m waste water tunnel.

In any case, knowing your preferences, you will be glad to hear that it is 2-0 for Herrenknecht.

• Tim Altman
    By Tim Altman

How about Robbins? Had they submitted a bid?

• Steve McMillan
      By Steve McMillan

To be honest I have no idea whether The Robbins Company submitted a bid.

• Robert Storman
    By Robert Storman

Watercare’s Central Interceptor Tunnel Boring Machine Passes Factory Acceptance Test

www.scoop.co.nz

Watercare’s Central Interceptor project has achieved another milestone with the Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM) passing its official Factory Acceptance Test (FAT) in Germany. The Central Interceptor is being delivered for Watercare by Ghella Abergeldie...

• Robert Storman
    By Robert Storman

If anybody here thinks that New Zealanders are so naive that they would choose Herrenknecht just because it is a European company, you are wrong. You are damn wrong.

Have no doubt that this was a commercial decision and Herrenknecht had to give a good discount to get this sale closed. I am sure it was also a symbolically important sale for Herrenknecht.