English | Spanish | Dutch

Hoban Group signed a mutual cooperation agreement with Herrenknecht for Korea's Tunnel Boring Machine technology development.

Ji-Yu Doko

Hoban Group is a big construction and technology companies in Korea. Hoban Group signed on 29 January 2020 an agreement with Germany's Herrenknecht. Hoban and Herrenknecht together will develop a domectic Tunnel Boring Machine suitable for Korean construction conditions and ground conditions. Herrenknecht is the biggest tunnel boring machine manufacturer in world. Herrenknecht already provide training for Hoban for tunneling equipment.

Korean news say Kim Jin-won, president of Hoban industry, said, "We will enhance the TBM construction capability and continue to cultivate professional manpower."

Hoban Industries also owner of Hoban TBM. Hoban TBM very recent won an order for gripper TBM construction on the 5th section of GTX A line (click blue to read that article of mine).  I think very much Hoban want to get gripper TBM technology from Herrenknecht for hard rock tunnels. 

Korean news say signing ceromoney attenden by more than 20 people from Hoban and Herrenknecht. Kim Jin-won, President of the Hoban Industry, Managing Director Kim Min-sung, Kim Won-gil, CEO of Hoban TBM and Herrenknecht company Martin Devid Herrenknecht, and Vice-Chairman of the Asian Regional Headquarters attended between other people in 20 attendees.

• Ji-Yu Doko
      By Ji-Yu Doko

Hoban and Herrenknecht develop Korean tunnel boring machine

http://news.einfomax.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=4067785

호반산업, 독일 헤렌크네히트와 TBM 업무협약

news.einfomax.co.kr

(서울=연합인포맥스) 남승표 기자 = 호반그룹의 건설계열 호반산업이 세계 최대 TBM(Tunnel Boring Machine) 제작사인 독일 헤렌크네히트와 손을 잡는다.호반산업과 헤렌크네히트는 29일 국내 TBM 기술개발과 상호 협력을 위한 업무 협약을 체결했다.이번 협약으로 호반산업은 국내의 시공 여건과 지반 조건에 적합한 장비를 제작할 수 있도록 헤렌크네히트를 지원한다.헤렌크네히트는 다양한 TBM 장비 운영에 대한 기술교육으로 호반산업의...

• Ji-Yu Doko
      By Ji-Yu Doko

Hoban and Herrenknecht develop Korean tunnel boring machine

http://m.ekn.kr/section_view.html?no=478247#_enliple

#Korea #Germany #tunneling

호반산업, 세계 최대 TBM 제작사와 손잡다

m.ekn.kr

[에너지경제신문 오세영 기자] 호반그룹의 건설계열 호반산업은 호반파크 2관(서초구 우면동 소재)에서 세계 최대 TBM

• Ji-Yu Doko
      By Ji-Yu Doko

Hoban and German Herrenknecht develop Korean tunnel boring machine

http://www.4th.kr/View.aspx?No=664406

호반산업, TBM 제작사 독일 헤렌크네히트와 협약

www.4th.kr

(사진 왼쪽) 헤렌크네히트 아시아 지역본부 니콜라스 추버(Nicolas Zuber) 대표와 호반산업 김진원 사장이 업무 협약 체결 후 기념 사진을 촬영하고 있다./사진=호반산업.

[포쓰저널=오경선 기자] 호반그룹의 건설계열 호반산업(대표 김진원)은 29일 서울 서초구 호반파크 2관에서 TBM(Tunnel Boring Machine) 제작사인 독일 헤렌크네히트(Herrenknecht)와 국내 TBM 기술개발과 상호 협력을 위한 업무 협약을...

• Santiago Morales
      By Santiago Morales

'Genuine Korean' tunnel boring machines made by Germans. Brilliant.

• Ji-Yu Doko
        By Ji-Yu Doko

Every company talk to another company. Very normal.

• Michael C. Murray
      By Michael C. Murray

Good chess move for both Herrenknecht and Hoban. Especially for the Germans. Koreans were anyways going to acquire the hard rock TBM technology from somewhere, from Japan or China. Better this way. Better for the Germans share the cake than loose it. I hope Herrenknecht have made a long lasting agreement which would entail some sustained license revenue or sales revenue sharing. 

Well done Hoban. I know the Japanese are good in TBM tech but I do not know to what degree in hard rock boring tech, even if they were willing to share it with the Koreans in these days. China has gained some second hand know-how with the acquisition of German TBM maker Wirth. How up to date is Wirth's technology? I don't know. Herrenknecht was really the best bet for Hoban and they successfully secured it.

• S. Disar
      By S. Disar

Let's hope this is part of a wider strategy to fend off Chinese invasion. Herrenknecht is the last castle.

• Ji-Yu Doko
      By Ji-Yu Doko

Good news about Hoban Industry. I attempt to translate and brief best:

Hoban Group traditional work in the housing business. Now Hoban focus on expanding its civil engineering business (Hoban Industry) in recent years. Since Hoban hired two executives from Hyundai E & C important new orders came last year.

Construction industry statistics of February 25 shows new orders for the Hoban industry exceeded KRW 1 trillion in 2019. 100% increase from previous year.

Major projects include three fuel cell projects (KRW 460 billion), Northeast Light Railroad (KRW 130 billion), Gripper TBM construction.

2 Executives come from Hyundai are Kim Jin-Won, CEO and Jae-Sung Lee. Kim, born in November 1955, finished Yonsei University for a bachelor's degree in civil engineering. He joined Hyundai E & C and worked for 30 years until 2011. He worked mainly at the Civil Environment Business Division (Senior Director) and a civil engineering expert. Kim Jin-won, is the first generation of domestic civil engineering business.  Lee Jae-sung, who worked for Hyundai Engineering with Kim and moved to the Hoban industry, also contributed to the expansion of orders. Lee is known as a fuel cell expert. Lee Jae-sung was also in charge of the Northeast Line light rail project during Hyundai Engineering.  “Kim and Lee are both big figures in the public-private cooperative investment development (PPP) business” per a construction expert. They use their history of working at Hyundai E&C to increase cooperation with Hoban Industry. Hyundai E & C is in charge of weekly construction work on Gimpo-Paju Section 2, the second ring road ordered by Hoban Industry.

I said Hoban Group traditional work in the housing business. They enter civil engineering when they buy Ultra E&C in 2016. A construction executive from mid size company say Hoban industry does not yet have the capacity to take sole orders for large-scale civil engineering works. “The Hoban industry is not easy to pass PQ (preliminary screening for bidding qualification), which is ordered by the government due to lack of experience and performance in civil engineering projects except for tunnels.” You have to gain experience. ”

https://paxnetnews.com/articles/57517

• Carlos Kirschner
      By Carlos Kirschner

I see nothing in Herrenknecht web site. Can this Herrenknecht - Korean technology cooperation news be just a rumour?

• Lutz Genscher
      By Lutz Genscher

@Carlos - Provided that this news is true, it is always conceivable that cooperation with Hoban may not be something Herrenknecht want to advertise too much. Every company has a different strategy.

• Jørn Madsen
      By Jørn Madsen

@Carlos, @Lutz maybe they don't want the word to go out too much. Maybe not to encourage Turks, Russian etc to have the idea for technology transfer.

• Chu Yang
      By Chu Yang

Herrenknecht press release with Hoban Industry cooperation. Where I find it?