Null

English | Spanish | Dutch

Japan's Kawasaki develops Super Green Mega Tunnel Boring Machine that helps environment and maintainability

Jose Cuntapay
    By Jose Cuntapay Replies (4)

Kawasaki Super Green Mega Tunnel Boring Machine

Dear colleagues,

Maybe you read posts on this platform about Manila Metro project. This project will use 25 (twenty five) tunnel boring machines from Japanese TBM manufacturer JIM Technologies Inc.

I have interest in Japanese TBM companies. For most TBM used in the world, you do not hear from Japanese TBM. You hear German TBM, and more and more Chinese TBM. Only when a tunnel work is very complicated then construction companies use Japanese TBM. Please remember Big Bertha used in Seattle, USA. It was a Japanese TBM brand Hitachi Zosen. Japan has many big and highly sophisticated TBM companies. 

Due to my interest in Japanese TBM companies, I investigate. I found out that famous Japanese company Kawasaki Heavy Industries has developed a high maintainability TBM which pollutes less for environment. I would like to share this information with you below. I found information and image on Kawasaki internet site. I am not working for Kawasaki. I am not associated with Kawasaki. Only a fan of Japanese TBM.

Japanese company Kawasaki Heavy Industries has designed a mega TBM as one of its Kawasaki Super Green Product.

The Super Green Mega Tunnel Boring Machine  design is for diameters bigger than 10 meters.

Kawasaki's Mega TBM is a Super Green Product. It is good to environment.

• Its design significantly reduced the Hydraulic Oil usage by placing the power unit within the TBM itself. Other conventional TBM designs always has power units in gantries far away from the TBM. Therefore unlike conventional design, Kawasaki Mega TBM design has placed the power unit at where power is used. Hence no need for long hydraulic pipes.
    • Its design reduced the number of hydraulic power unit by adopting the downsized actuator and electric drive system by using high efficiency products.
    • Its design has smaller hydraulic tank volume in a closed circuit system for the reasons above.
    • Zero emissions design.

Kasawaskí's Mega TBM is faster to produce and more modular:

• Its manufacturing process has been greatly shortened and required number of parts are reduced significantly from conventional TBM.
    • 3D design and measurement replace the verification of check item during the full assembly of TBM in the factory. This improves TBM manufacturing process drastically and shortened the overall period production.
    • The less number of parts means more modularity. This is very important. It means it is easy and faster to maintain, repair than conventional tunnel boring machines. It means less down time for many personnel who wait idle when a TBM is stopped.

Kawasaki project site (you search internet for other information please) https://global.kawasaki.com/en/corp/sustainability/green_products/mega_tunnel_boring_machine.html

• Hashim Abbas
      By Hashim Abbas

Japan has best TBM technology

• Paolo Kerguel
      By Paolo Kerguel

Since the US TBM innovation got complacent in 1970s, all innovation worth mentioning came from Japan. Remarkable when you think that Japan has a relatively lower percentage of market share in TBM (I guess. I hear all the time Herrenknecth, CREG, etc but not much of Japanese brands since Big Bertha of Seattle).

• Ari G.J. van der Dijk
      By Ari G.J. van der Dijk

It's marketing talk until it proves itself in the field

• Santiago Morales
      By Santiago Morales

Japanese TBM manufacturers are choosy.