English | Spanish | Dutch

Here are the 3 Engineering options to solve the Kolkata Metro East-West line mess

Telegraph India report that engineers from 3 countries tackle the problem in Kolkata's East-West tunnel boring. During the boring, Tunnel Boring Machine was overwhelmed by water after hitting a aquifer and then followed by subsidence of earth which in turn caused the most problem of hauses over the boring crack and get demolished. Left 500 people homeless.

Engineers now evaluate 3 options:

1- The TBM boring the second tube will make a U-turn and also bore the problem tunnel.

2- At Bowpazar where the problem TBM is stuck, a shaft will be digged and a new boring machine will be lowered

3- At a place less crowded than Bowpazar most likely between Bowpazar and Sealdah a new shaft will be digged and new TBM will be lowered there.

Detail:

https://www.telegraphindia.com/states/west-bengal/the-way-forward-for-east-west-metro/cid/1705207

My other posts on subject:

India : Homes emptied after building cracks and collapses as a result of Kolkata's East-West metro tunnel TBM boring

India: How are the Kolkata East-West Line Tunnel Engineers fighting the TBM in water cavern problem?

India: Water tore Kolkata East-West Metro tunnel-boring machine seal: Engineers

• Coert Klomp
    By Coert Klomp

All these options hint a tunnel boring machine screw up.  Obviously the TBM is damaged beyond repair. Either because of bad operation or because it was crap in the first place.

Can anbody comment on the brand/model of the TBM and whether it was a new one or a renovated one?

• Adrian Olmex
    By Adrian Olmex

Really, what make TBM?

• SHAHBAJ
    By SHAHBAJ

Hi coert

TBM brand - Herrenknecht

Model- S615

• Robin McAuley
    By Robin McAuley

How on earth did they manage to get the TBM smashed? Or was it not suitable -due to a defect or spec- for this operation. I am certain soon or later investigators will say something over it.

• Tim Altman
    By Tim Altman

I am certain all agree that the best option against a problem is not having it at the first place. I mean, to take measures to prevent it from happening.

While studying I stumbled upon two more fine documents from ITAtech, the technology arm of ITA.

I was wondering, whether the construction company did its homework before starting the boring?  If they followed this guidance document of ITAtech, would they still have problems?

ITAtech Publication: Geophysical ahead investigation methods / Seismic methods

and if the tunnel boring machine that they used was a pre-used one, would they still have the`"seal problem" if they read this ITAtech document on re-assembly of TBMs?

ITAtech Guidelines on Rebuilds of Machinery for Mechanized Tunnel Excavation (for re-assembly of a TBM)

just asking...

• Pankaj
    By Pankaj

@coert klomp it was a refurbished TBM which was previously used in Delhi metro 

https://themetrorailguy.com/2017/11/22/pics-tbms-s615-s616-get-refurbished-for-kolkata-metros-line-2/

(Pics) TBMs S615 – S616 Getting Refurbished for Kolkata Metro’s Line-2

themetrorailguy.com

Here's a picture-post on ITD-ITD Cem JV's two Herrenknecht tunnel boring machines (TBMs) which are currently stationed at the contractor's New Town yard waiting for the completion of a launch shaft at

• Santiago Morales
    By Santiago Morales

@T.Altman, your profile says ' MSc Student in Civil Engineering with special interest in tunneling'. Did you ever work in a tunnel?

Theory is different from real work. In real work you have no time to think of every option, You can not stop. You have to do right or not. You will learn.

• Tim Altman
    By Tim Altman

Dear Santiago, I have been to tunnels under construction but No, I have never actually worked in one. What is your point?

I don't have to be a cook to know that to be able to cook, first you need to learn cooking. Those 2 docs of ITAtech are part of an excellent preparation for tunneling, rather than delving into it without preparation and then hoping the best and when the sh**t hits the fan, running amok. It is not the tunnel engineering I have in my mind.

• Peter R. Morgan
    By Peter R. Morgan

Theory is worth a hundred year of experience. Theory plus Experience is priceless.

• Santiago Morales
    By Santiago Morales

@T.Altman you are reaching fast conclusions from what I write. My point is this. Maybe you read the books beforehand or got training. When the problem hits you underground, it hits you super fast and hard. In that havoc, you have to act super fast/ You do things fast and your reaction is always textbook quality. Because we are not programmed robots.

• Tim Altman
    By Tim Altman

Dear Santigo. My message was about a simple fact: If you do a proper geological survey and if you make sure your TBM is up to the task, you might prevent some problems from occuring. I hope we agree on this.

By example: Samples are taken from the depths of the mountain in Arkansas, to determine "if a tunnel boring machine can hollow out a 5-foot diameter corridor from the base of the mountain's southern slope to an inlet east of Lake Ouachita's main channel".

https://www.hotsr.com/news/2019/sep/22/drillers-give-city-inside-look-at-blake/

Part two: Drillers give city inside look at Blakely Mountain (with video)

www.hotsr.com

This is the final installment of a two-part series on the more than $100 million in capital improvements the city is making to the regional water system.

Drilling

www.youtube.com

Robert Hogg, with REI Drilling, explains how core samples are extracted using horizontal boring for testing at Blakely Mountain. Video by Grace Brown of The ...